Best hill stations in India
When we think about traveling, hill-stations are our first choice because the atmosphere of every hill station is fresh, calm and healthy. Who doesn’t like the panoramic view of lovely Majestic Mountains, lush greenery and to roam around in the lap of nature? Pure weather and picturesque destinations make hill station the best choice for traveling. Today, I created my list of 15 best hill stations in India where you can visit for a soothing experience.
So best hill stations in India are:-
#1 Darjeeling, West Bengal
Darjeeling is surely one of the “best Hill Stations in India”. Located in West Bengal, Darjeeling shows the real beauty of a hill station. Darjeeling is also known as Queen of hill stations and it was the most loved location of Britishers, due to its natural green beauty and scenic Mountains. Darjeeling is a delightful destination for all kind of tourists. Families, Couples, nature lovers, thrill seeker, adventure enthusiasts all types of people love Darjeeling. Especially, Darjeeling is the best destination for tea lovers. There are lots of beautiful tea gardens in Darjeeling. You will never find the tea like Darjeeling anywhere in India. In short, Darjeeling is a lovely eye catching hill station, where you can explore lots of beauty of nature.
Things to do-
- Darjeeling train Journey – The visit to Darjeeling is a waste without a ride on the Himalayan railway toy train. The train journey offers some breathtaking views, and loops around beautiful Mountains are also awesome, which you don’t want to miss. The Himalayan railway toy train is also listed as UNESCO world heritage site which is a great compliment for Darjeeling.v
- Tea Tour in Darjeeling – There are lots of beautiful tea gardens in Darjeeling. You can stay and visit these numerous tea gardens.
- Visit Tiger Hill- Do not miss the view of Sun hitting his first rays to the majestic snow-covered mountains of Himalaya from Tiger hill. You can see the breathtaking view of Kanchenjunga Peak also.
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park – Visit this Zoological Park and look for Red Pandas, Tibetan Wolves, Himalayan Black Bears and some other rare natural habitats.
- Trekking – Do trekking in Darjeeling and experience the blissful views of five highest peaks of the world like Mt. Everest, Kanchenjunga etc. Darjeeling consists some best trekking routes of India, like a trek on the Observatory hill etc.
- Darjeeling Ropeway – Some other spectacular views of Darjeeling are waiting for you. Try out a ride of Darjeeling Ropeway and experience some more panoramic views of this delightful hill station.
There are some other activities you can do in Darjeeling like, Shopping in Darjeeling and River Rafting etc. You can Visit Batasia Loop, Rock Garden and Monasteries etc.
#2 Manali, Himachal Pradesh
Manali is one of the most loved Hill stations in India for tourists. Manali is also known as “Lovers Paradise – India’s Honeymoon Capital” so, it’s also an ultimate romantic destination for lovers. Surrounded by majestic hills and woody forests, the quaint charm of Manali has captured the world’s attention and has become one of the most visited tourist destinations in India. Manali has some of the finest scenic mountain views for nature lovers. This is the ideal place for tourists looking to unwind and rejuvenate in the lap of nature, for there is no place in the country more vibrant and charming as Manali.
Things to do-
Manali has some popular hill stations nearby such as the Rohtang Pass, Solang Valley, and Kullu Valley where you can do lots of adventurous, lovely and memorable things:-
- You can do river rafting in Pirdi – near Kullu.
- Paragliding and Skiing at Solang Valley.
- Rock climbing, Trekking, and Camping in Solang Valley.
- Adventurous sports like Zorbing, Shopping and, Yak ride at the Manali Wildlife Sanctuary in Manali.
- Biking in Rohtang Pass while surfing Manali.
- Manali has lots of temples which all tourists and devotees love to visit and several festivals are held in Manali all year round.
There are lots of experiences you can take in Manali that’s why it comes in no. 1 in my list of best hill stations of India.
#3 Nanital, Uttrakhand
Nainital, a beautiful Hill Station located in Uttrakhand is good enough to secure his place in the list of top 15 hill stations of India. Tourists visit Nainital throughout the year. Nainital is divided into two parts Tallital and Mallital by the lake. The Northern part is Mallital while the Southern part is Tallital. Blessed with its own scenic lake surrounded by green hills there are plenty of other picturesque places in Nainital. The hill station is delighted by many ancient Temples and scenic views of lovely Mountains. Beautiful walking tracks, interesting shopping stuff, delightful view of sunrise there are plenty of other options which you can enjoy in Nainital. N. Hence, Nainital is a beautiful hill station which will never make you feel bored and can be visited many times.
Things to do-
- Nainital lakes- Nainital is beautified by picturesque lakes like Naini lake, Bhimtal lake, Sattal lake and many others. You can do various adventure activities in these lakes like Boating, Fishing etc.
- Trekking – You can trek on Tiffin top hill and enjoy the view of the sunrise in the Himalayan peaks. There are some other trek routes also.
- Ride in Nainital Ropeway (cable car)- Enjoy stunning views of Nainital by riding in the Nainital Ropeway. This Ropeway ride offers the picturesque scenic views of Nainital.
- Shopping at Tibetan Market- Do some unique shopping at Tibetan Market and find some awesome crafts made by locals.
- Visit these spots- You can visit some other awesome spots like Mall Road, Naina Devi Temple, Corbet National Park etc.
#4 Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is one of the best hill stations to visit in India. Shimla is the capital city of the Indian state Himachal Pradesh, located in Northern India. Shimla is a famous place to visit in India for the people who look for some leisure days amongst the natural and at the same time would like to enjoy the place completely by visiting various places of Interest. When you come to Shimla your moments become amazing because there are lots of wonderful sightseeing places in Shimla. There are lots of activities to experience in Shimla like traveling in the toy train. There are many sightseeing places in Shimla for tourist but famous attractions are:-
Things to do-
- Shimla you can do Ice skating, River rafting in Shimla and Trekking in Jakhu temple.
- You can take a ride on the toy train of Shimla.
- You can do Shopping at Lakkar bazaar and Nature walk through Pine forest etc.
- You can visit Shimla Ridge. The Ridge is the hub of all cultural activities of Shimla. Most major places of Shimla like Lakkar Bazaar, Mall, Scandal Point, Jakhoo hill, etc. are connected through the Ridge.
- You can visit Mall Road. Mall Road has lots of shops and also has very interesting cafes and restaurants which serve great food.
- You can visit St. Mary’s Church, Summer Hill, and Town Hall, which are the most important landmarks of Shimla.
- You can also visit other interesting places in Shimla like Jakhoo Hill, Kufri, Chadwick falls, NalDehra and Shailey Peak, The Shimla State Museum etc.
So, there are lots of places to visit and activities to do in Shimla. Hence, we can call Shimla as one of the best hill stations to visit in India.
#5 Munnar, Kerala
One of the best and most popular hill station located in the beautiful state of Kerala in South India, Munnar has always beckoned countless holiday seekers, nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts from far and wide. Munnar is beautifully situated on the banks of three rivers- Madupetti, Nallathanni and Periavaru, This hill station is also blessed with natural viewpoints with the tea-plantations. The view of these tea plantations is too beautiful. It undoubtedly makes for a perfect holiday destination where tired souls can spend few days in utmost peace and tranquillity, away from hum drums of the chaotic city lives.
Things to do-
- You can go for a hike to the Annamudi Peak
- You can enjoy a picnic at the Mattupetty dam & lake or take an insightful trip to the Indo-Swiss dairy farm.
- You can visit the Top Station and reveal the beauty, you can converse with yourself at the Echo point.
- You can do Shikara boat riding over the Kundala Lake. You can discover the hidden treasures of the Chinnar wildlife sanctuary.
- You can breathe in the sandalwood scented air at the Marayoor Sandalwood forests.
- You can immerse your souls in the tranquillity of the Attukal Waterfalls.
Hence, there are lots of places to visit and activities to do here. That’s why Munnar is also one of the best hill stations in India.
#6 Ooty, Tamil Nadu
Ooty is the queen of the South Indian hill stations you can beat the heat at Ooty because this cool hill station located in Tamil Nadu will chill you definitely and the environment of Ooty will help to calm yourself deeply. Ooty is one of the delightful honeymoon spots, situated at an altitude of 2,240 mt above sea level. In Ooty, the beautiful mountains look awesome with the enjoyable weather conditions throughout the year.
Things to do-
- You can experience the fun riding on a toy train and that too under the lap of nature.
- You can do trekking and mountain biking
- You can be a birds watcher at Kalhatti falls which is also known as ‘bird watcher paradise and picnic at the red hill nature resort near the Emerald Lake.
- You can visit so many beautiful places like- Ooty lake, botanical gardens, rose gardens, Doddabeta Peak’s, Dolphin’s Nose, Emerald Leke, Kalhatti Falls, etc.
Hence Ooty is a marvelous hill station for, photography enthusiasts, adventure seeking peoples and also for couples.
#7 Mussoorie, Uttrakhand
Mussoorie, Mussoorie is an another lovely Hill station to enjoy. The atmosphere of Mussoorie is quite fresh, calm, cool, and healthy like every hill station. Mussoorie is fully surrounded by majestic and delicate mountains the views of these mountains are just look awesome when you will see them. When the sun sets, the horizon turns into layers of yellow, orange, red and purple. It is visible in mountain areas with a vast and clear long valley to the west. Mussoorie is blessed that way! The beauty of that view will blow your mind.
Things to do-
- You can enjoy a thrilling Ropeway ride to land from the second highest peak of Mussoorie, which is named as, ” Gun hill’. Gun Hill is the famous destination of Mussorrie, which offers picturesque views of the Mussoorie town and the Doon Valley.
- You can do some adventure activities like Paragliding and trekking. Cloud’s end offers a lovely walking track experience.
- You can visit the lovely Kempty Falls near Mussoorie, where you can take a bath and short swim also. You can also visit other falls like Jharipani Fall and Bhatta fall also.
- You can visit Mussoorie Lake, where you can do boating and picnic also. You can also visit Lake Mist.
- You can visit camel’s Back Road. Here you can take a Camel and Horse ride, and also enjoy the picturesque view of the sunset.
#8 Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh
Dalhousie one of the best scenic hill stations in India is located in the land of God Himachal Pradesh. This was one of the famous spots for Britishers because of the cool weather and tranquil surroundings in Dalhousie. This is the reason that Dalhousie is filled by British style buildings and churches. Those who are looking for a break from the hectic life of buzzing cities can come to this charming hill station. The splendid beauty, healthy climate, scenic view of mountains and river in the lap of nature makes Dalhousie a perfect destination to feel relax and calm.
Things to do-
- You can visit Khajjiar also known as, “Switzerland of India”. Tourists enjoy the picturesque landscapes with lush greenery of Khajjiar. There is also a beautiful lake in Khajjiar called as Khajjiar Lake.
- You can do some adventure activities like trekking, rock climbing, and River rafting, especially in Khajjiar and Daikund Peak.
- Wildlife enthusiasts and ornithologists can visit the Kalatop wildlife sanctuary which contains a wide variety of Flora and Fauna.
- You can visit some spiritual places like Chamunda Devi temple, Laxmi Narayan temple, St. John Church etc.
- You can visit some more sightseeing attractions like Satdhara Falls, Panch Pulla, Chamera Lake, Rang Mahal and Bakrota hills.
#9 Coonoor, TamilNadu
Coonoor is one of the most beautiful and picturesque hill stations in India. It is just 19 km from Ooty. One of the best things about Coonoor is, that it is easy to reach Coonoor from all of the major places of South India. Coonoor is situated in Nilgiri hills also called Nilgiris. Coonoor provides the lovely and panoramic views of legendary Nilgiris. Rich greenery, amazing sceneries, and natural beauty is enough to calm your soul deeply. You will also love the fact that Coonoor is less crowded as compared to Ooty and others hill stations in the Nilgiris.
Things to do-
- You can visit Dolphin Nose viewpoint. Which provides the fantastic views of Catherine falls as well as Nilgiri falls. These views are one of the best picturesque views of hill stations.
- You can visit Lamb’s Rock which also provides the incredible views of the glory of nature.
- You can visit some amazing waterfalls like Law’s falls, Katary falls, and the glorious St. Catherine Falls.
- You can visit Sim’s falls. Sim’s Park is the must visit place for you. Here you can find the huge variety of flora as well as the beauty of Nature.
- You can explore Coonoor by trekking in the Nilgiris and in the Hidden Valley.
#10 Auli, Uttrakhand
Here comes the no.10 in my list of “best Hill Stations of India”. Auli which is located in Chamoli district of Uttrakhand also termed as Devbhumi(Land of Gods) is an ultimate thrilling Hill station. One of the major activity of Auli is skiing. It’s the only place in Uttrakhand to do skiing. The views of Auli while doing skiing are breathtaking because Auli is fenced with Oak and coniferous forests offering 360-degree sights of the mighty Himalayas which makes Auli a beautiful hill station to visit. Auli is also known for plenty of treks routes and amazing views.
Things to do –
- Skiing- A delightful place for the skiing lots, these slopes are considered as the best ones in the world. A clean expansion of 10-20 km of snow clad mountain slopes of Auli provides a unique experience of skiing.
- Trishul Peak- The place is known for offering skiing slopes for beginners and is also popular for having the famous Nanda Devi National Park. The place also has a mystical lake, Roopkund.
- Nandaprayag- Nandaprayag serves as the beautiful entry point to the much-revered pilgrim centers of Badrinath and Kedarnath. These stunning sceneries and holy darshan in sacred shrines make your tour to this majestic entry point a beguiling experience.
- Visit other beautiful attractions- Other beautiful attractions to visit in Auli are Rudraprayag lake, Badri Kedar festival, Bhavishya Kedar, Chatarkund lake, Kalpeshwar Temple, Nanda Devi National park, Chenab Lake, Satopanth lake, Vasundhara fall, Hanuman Ghat, Gurso Bugyal etc.
#11 Kodaikanal, Tamil Naidu
One of the best destination for honeymooners because of its scenic beauty Kodaikanal located in Tamil Naidu is a lovely hill station in South India which tourist doesn’t want to miss because of the natural beauty that you will find everywhere. The hill station Kodaikanal is a welcome haven for adventure seekers. The name Kodaikanal means gift of the forest, it means too many varieties of trees. You will never get tired while exploring Kodaikanal. Kodaikanal is a place to be for every kind of traveler. Ideal for family vacations romantic getaways, adventure lovers and also for the hippies.
Things to do-
- You can trek to Dolphin’s nose and Periyakulam Adukkam, where you will be greeted with lovely views.
- You can visit Kodai town, which is famous for its bewitching beauty of the hills, lakes and for the pleasant chills of its weather.
- Tourists can visit Kodai Lake and do adventures activities like boating, horse riding, cycling and angling near the lake.
- Green Valley View, or the otherwise known Suicide Point, is a magnificent spot in Kodaikanal for visit.
- You can visit Pillar rocks, Coaker’s walk point, Devil’s kitchen and beautiful falls like Bear Shola fall, Thalaiyar falls and Silver Cascade falls.
There are so many other beautiful places that you can also visit in Kodaikanal. Hence, Kodaikanal is a beautiful hill station to visit in India.
#12 Kasol, Himachal Pradesh
Kasol, also known as mini Israel, is a picturesque hill station located in Himachal Pradesh. Kasol is a fully adventurous destination for backpackers, trekkers, and nature lovers. The chilled weather in the lap of nature of Kasol is enough to make you feel relaxed. Kasol is surrounded by the banks of the beautiful Parvati River. There are many amazing places nearby in Kasol like Palampur, Kullu, Manali, Dharamshala etc. Hence, Kasol will never disappoint you as a nature lover and adventure seeker.
Things to do-
- Kasol is full of so many trekking paths and the best route is Kheer Ganga trek which is full of Marvelous views of lush nature.
- You can do camping by staying in a tent camp near beautifully flowing Parvati.
- You can visit Parvati River which is surely an ideal river for some beautiful pictures and relaxation.
- You can explore the villages of Kasol like Malana etc and also meet local inhabitants.
- You can visit Manikaran which is a holy place. Manikaran is also famous for natural hot springs. You can bath in the hot spring water, which will make you feel relax.
- You can enjoy the delicious food in the chilled weather of Kasol.
#13 Coorg, Karnataka
Coorg, also called Scotland of India, is the most affluent hill station in Karnataka. Most people in India travel to this enchanting hill station primarily for its soothing clime, Coorg is a captivating and invigorating place. A tour of this gorgeous hill station will leave you relaxed and rejuvenated. While the greenery of Coorg calms one down and if there is one thing that defines Coorg the best, then it has to be the infinite regal fields of coffee plantations.
Things to do-
- You can visit Raja’s Seat – a small garden adorned with the flowers affording a view of the majestic hills of the Western Ghats.
- You can visit Mandalpatti viewpoint, another spot which offers the awe-gaping view of the lush green beauty of Coorg along with the experience of trekking amid the hills of Western Ghats.
- You must visit the Tata plantation trails of coffee in Coorg and enjoy the freshly brewed coffee made from the fresh cocoa beans.
- If your idea of enjoying the monsoon is dancing In the rain then you can visit Abbey falls.
- You can also do various adventure activities such as waterfall rappelling etc.
#14 Mcleodganj, Himachal Pradesh
Mcleodganj is a beautiful hill station situated near upper Dharamsala in Himachal Pradesh which is the queen of hill stations. Mcleodganj is popular among trekkers as it provides one of the best trekking experience. Its culture is a beautiful blend of Tibetan with some British influence. Mcleodganj is a beautiful town of Dharamsala, nestled amidst majestic hills and lush greenery, this town is culturally blessed by Tibetian.
Things to do-
- You can Trek on the majestic hills of Mcleodganj with your friends and feel mesmerized by the blessings of millions of shining stars.
- You can do some good shopping because many of the folks in this town follow Buddhism and hence many of the shops offer appropriate stuff. One can find very interesting things in these shops.
- There are other beautiful towns nearby. The towns of Dharamsala, Mcleodganj, Bhagsu Nag and Kangra are situated very close to each other and tourists must cover all these destinations while traveling here.
- You can visit Triund, Namgyal Monastery, Tsuglagkhang(where the Dalai Lama resides), Dharamkotr, Dal Lake, Tibetan museum etc.
#15 Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra
Once known as the summer capital of India in the British Raj, the hill station of Mahabaleshwar located in Maharashtra has a lot more to offer than you can imagine. Mahabaleshwar is located about 120 kilometers from Pune and 280 kilometers from Mumbai. This hill station is known for its captivating beauty and the beautiful strawberry farms with the lovely sightseeing views of majestic hills. Mahabaleshwar contains beautiful lush green forests, valleys, waterfalls, hills, lakes hence Mahabaleshwar is also very close to nature like other hill stations.
Things to do-
- You can visit The Strawberry Farms, many locals have opened their strawberry farms for tourists.
- You can do boating at Venna Lake but this can only be availed between October and June.
- You can do trekking at Mahabaleshwar and explore the Partapgarh Fort.
- You can visit Panchgani which less than half an hour away from Mahabaleshwar, the town is known for its clean and fresh air making it an ideal holiday spot for tourists looking forward to refreshing and soothing their souls.
- You can visit Chinaman’s waterfall- one of the most significant waterfalls in Maharashtra and Dhobi waterfall also.
- You can also visit other fantastic places like Elephant’s head point, Wilson Point, Arthur seat, Lodwick point, Helen’s point etc and you can also do city shopping.
Hence, Mahabaleshwar is one of the awesome hill stations in India.
If you were charmed by the majesty of these beautiful hill stations of India, share this story with your friends. You may even decide to visit some of these beautiful hill stations in future.